Sunday, October 25, 2009

Does it Matter ?

Does it really matter who the Phillies play in the World Series ? The Phillies will either play the New York Yankees or the Anaheim Angels. The Phillies were 2- 1 against the Yankees this year. After going right through the Dodgers like they were nothing, Phillies fans are saying bring on the Yankees. The Yankees and their 208,097,414 payroll is the highest in the MLB. The Angels rank 6th with the highest payroll at 118,964,000. Most say the Yankees are a bought team which they pretty much are, with Burnett, Sabathia, Teixeira and A Rod.The Phillies are 8th on top salary list with 111,209,046. Even with a big payroll we still have the most heart. Thinking about the series between Angels and the Yankees, I was thinking who I would like to see us play. Neither team really scares me. But when talking with friends about the series one made a good point. The angels coming back to win the series after being down 0 an 2 could take everything out of them. The Angels winning game 7 could be like winning the World Series to them. Leaving the Angels tired in the World Series. My belief about the Yankees is this, beating the Yankees in the World Series would fully legitimize the Phillies. Many fear the Yankees lineup, I do not. I fear our starting pitching. Besides Cliff lee are starting pitching is not too trustworthy. This is why I propose this take a chance and start Martinez in Game 1. It will not faze Martinez to pitch game 1, like it would the other young starters. By the time the World Series starts on Wednesday night, it will have been a week since the Phillies played. The Phillies are scheduled to play a simulated game today (Sunday) at the bank, but does that do much ? If you let Martinez go in game 1 and the Phillies bats are cold, I think were OK. We come back at Game 2 with our ace ready to go. For game 3 through 5 were back in Philly.

Let me know what you think about this!

Cole Hamels : Yes I am giving Cole Hamels his own section in this Blog. As one person can tell you I became a conspiracy theorist during game 5. I was so angry at Hamels that I was seeing things that were not there. I still am not high on Hamels and this quote does not help him, “I had no clue where the ball was going, I was missing my spot by about 3 feet, and that’s troublesome.” Listen I think it would be hard for Happ who is out of his starting pitching routine to come in and start. So Hamles will probably have to start in the World Series. So the best thing we can hope for is that either the old Hamels shows up because the last time we saw him was the World Series last year or the offense has a big night when he pitches. No matter what I would not let Hamels pitch on the road. Especially at Yankee stadium, with their small dimensions, at left and right field.


Eagles: After that performance in Oakland last week, all I got to say is Wow! Horrible performance all around. With a big Monday night game tomorrow night against the Redskins, It should be a victory. The Eagles will have a new middle Linebacker in Will Witherspoon starting. Omar Gaither is out with a Lisfranc sprain. Witherspoon has played the Redskins already this season while he was with the Rams, which help since he only had a week to study the defense playbook.

Welcome to the Bandwagon: Redsox fans and others. We know especially if we play the Yankees you will be cheering for the Phillies. Since the Redsox will once again miss the World Series we encourage you to cheer on our World Champion Phillies.


That is it for Now

I am JH Jr and I am out.

1 comment:

  1. I disagree with the Martinez choice. 1) You always lead with your best, momentum is a hell of a thing. 2) If you start Martinez you send the message to the team that we are saving our "best" for game 2 and that sits on the minds of our hitters. 3) If you lose game 1 its a much bigger hill for Lee to climb in game 2, because the Phillies need to win at least one in NY

    ReplyDelete